Friday, November 6, 2015

Elves and Elven Things

Elves.

While their attitude can be off-putting even in the best of times, I cannot help but respect the years of life poured into even the most simple of things that they produce. I've had the pleasure of working with their materials on a number of occasions and I have to admit, they've created some very fine cloths. Elven silk and Elven wool are a joy to place my hands on, the countless years of work put into perfecting the process which they make the textiles showing through in every aspect.

However.

I find that some Elves, in their desire to only surround themselves with that which they know to be well made has been a frequent headache and eyesore. I have come across many of their number only interested in things which have been created using the skills of their people. It's really quite dull and boring.

I can understand a measure of pride concerning the efforts of your own people, even I frequently extol upon the virtues of Rakash ingenuity and ability. With our rather short lifespan, in comparison to many of the other races which populate this world, we have made the most of our time and created some truly wonderous things. Despite my love for my own people, I cannot deny that there are many aspects of life that have been done better by others.

Many Elves cannot admit this.

One particular subject, whom I see and deal with somewhat frequently, seeks to only clothe and adorn herself in the trappings of Elven methods. She does this so much, that she has become quite infamous for the manner in which she presents herself to others. Not infamous in the good way, either. In fact, among many fashion circles she is treated as a joke and looked upon as one would look upon a child who has no idea what they are doing.

The importance of fashion is to make your external qualities match those which you hold in your heart and soul. It is a balancing act of both enhancement and function, leading to an overall representation of you. The person. It is with this in mind that I have created my own attire, balancing that which is common with that which is uncommon or unique. Though, I will admit to a small measure of extravagance due to my chosen profession and those whom I commonly deal with.

Still, the fashion of this Elf whom I speak of causes me a deal of frustration.

I have done what I can to convey this mentality to them, though, I fear my words have fallen on deaf ears. Odd, that ears could be so pronounced and still not hear what is said to them. Perhaps, in time, they will come to understand the image they project and find it as distasteful as I and others do.

Though, probably not.

Regardless, I shall continue to watch the progress. I find it hard to give up hope on anyone, even one who does not listen to reasonable suggestions. Though, my hope does not prevent the annoyance I feel when I see yet another "Elven wool thing with Elven ivy made of Elven snowlace threaded with Elven gold and supporting some Elven silk Elf flowers."

Ugh.

Just writing that gave me a bit of a headache, so I will end this journal entry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment